5 benefits of deep breathing- helps you lose weight, increases lung capacity, lowers blood pressure and stress - Times Now
5 benefits of deep breathing- helps you lose weight, increases lung capacity, lowers blood pressure and stress  |  Photo Credit: Thinkstock
New Delhi: You probably have heard that deep breathing has many health benefits. Essentially, deep breathing is a mindful practice that draws more oxygen into your lungs, helping to deliver more oxygen to your heart. It is claimed that the breathing technique can help improve your health in numerous ways, including weight loss and regulation of blood pressure. Deep breathing exercises are particularly helpful for lowering stress and anxiety.
Recently, researchers at the University of Colorado Boulder found that a 5-minute breathing routine can actually improve your brain and heart health. Dubbed the inspiratory muscle strength training (IMST), the researchers found that the 5-minute breathing technique can significantly lower blood pressure, and possibly boost cognitive and physical performance.
According to Science Daily, an IMST workout involves breathing in vigorously through a hand-held device that provides resistance to strengthen the muscles you use to breathe. Meanwhile, a systematic review revealed that inspiratory muscle training increases inspiratory muscle strength in patients weaning from mechanical ventilation. And here are five incredible reasons why you should practice deep breathing.
- Weight loss: Looks like, practicing deep breathing can benefit you much like in aerobic exercise. This is due to the fact that deep breathing improves blood circulation, and boosts metabolism and digestion, which may help with weight loss. It also keeps your cells in an aerobic state, which in turn encourages the burning of fat, including the fat around the belly.
- Detoxifies the body: Deep breathing exercises can help the lymphatic system function properly, which encourages flushing out harmful toxins and waste from your immune system. This helps to cleanse the body while assisting the organs in the detoxification process.
- Reduces stress: Deep breathing may be an effective way to lower or manage stress naturally. It lowers the harmful effect of the stress hormone cortisol on your body, helping you relax.
- Increases lungs’ capacity: Regular deep breathing can be particularly beneficial for people with respiratory conditions, including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), asthma, as it helps increase lungs’ capacity. It is believed that doing deep breathing exercises on a regular basis can help strengthen the diaphragm muscle and the air pockets within the lungs. This assists the lungs in removing the toxins and delivering oxygen to the blood at a greater rate.
- Eases pain: Surprisingly, taking deep breaths helps oxygenate the blood, triggering your brain to release endorphins. Endorphins are brain chemicals which reduce the levels of pain and stress in the body.
Practicing deep breathing for a few minutes can give boost your health in many ways. There are different techniques you can try, yet, you would want to breathe deeply from your abdomen rather than from your chest. Try incorporating deep breathing exercise into your daily regime to improve and maintain your health and well-being.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a professional healthcare provider if you have any specific questions about any medical matter.